Is it safe to travel to Maldives? This is the question travelers have been asking before making travel plans across the globe. A lot of this anxiety, however, is created from the lack of information or rather misinformation that is floating across the internet. With governments around the world taking active measures to control and contain the virus, your travel plans don’t have to be on hold. Here’s all that you need to know based on actual current facts.
Current situation in Maldives
Tourists keen on visiting this luxury holiday destination can breathe a sigh of relief since as of today, the government of Maldives has issued advisories and mandated SOPs to ensure a COVID-19 free situation in the Island country.
Maldives COVID-19 travel advisory
Is it safe to travel to Maldives now? Yes, it is. However, every tourist will have to follow a travel advisory while visiting the Island country. Every tourist needs to have a confirmed booking. Except for transit requirements, the entire stay should be at the same resort/hotel. Tourists may be allowed to travel from one resort to another only if there are 0 cases.
Every tourist is required to submit a Traveler Health Declaration 24 hours before coming to Maldives and once more before leaving the country. The form needs to be submitted via http://imuga.immigration.gov.mv/. Every tourist needs to have a COVID-19 negative certificate not more than 72 hours old. Anyone with COVID-like symptoms within the past 14 days should not travel to the Maldives.
Everyone is required to wear masks at the airport, during travel, and in public places. Visitors will also undergo thermal screening at airports. Tourists are advised to download TraceEkee, a contact tracing app before coming to the Maldives. Maintain at least 3ft of physical distance at all times. Tourists are also required to inform authorities if they contract COVID-19 within 14 days after leaving the Maldives.
A representative from a tourist’s resort/hotel will be at the airport to facilitate transfers or assist with domestic flights.
Maldives govt issues SOPs to tackle COVID-19
Is it safe to travel to Male in Maldives? Be rest assured, the government has released rules to ensure a COVID-19 situation. In order to ensure social distancing, the government has mandated the seating capacity be displayed on vehicles. Disinfection will be done after every trip. Every vehicle will have a separate driver’s compartment with a plastic sheet separating passengers and drivers. A record of seating arrangements will be maintained for contact tracing should there be a COVID-19 case.
The government of Maldives has mandated for a dedicated ambulance, car to transport COVID-19 patients. They have asked every resort to have a COVID-19 task force, designated rooms for isolation, PPE, SOP for cases, etc. Every resort needs to have a medical clinic with a medical officer familiar with COVID-19 protocols.
There will be a designated place for isolation of both staff and tourists with mild symptoms. Medical care of quarantined people will be facilitated by concerned health care facilities and the COVID task force.
Know before you go
- Talk to your doctor before traveling, especially if you are traveling with children.
- Avoid all high-risk areas such as farms, live animal markets, or surfaces with animal droppings and secretions on them.
- If you do come in contact with animals or animal products, avoid touching your nose, mouth, or eyes till you have properly sanitized yourself.
- Monitor your health closely and keep a distance from sick people, especially if they have fever or breathing difficulties
- Follow the local advisories
- Check with your travel insurance company about how your specific policy covers the situation in case of an emergency
- Due to increased screening measures at airports and border crossings, keep sufficient lead time while traveling
- If you feel sick while traveling to or from the Maldives, contact the nearest embassy, consulate, or airline crew. Treat it as a precaution and advise them of your travel history
Flynote cares for its customers
Please be assured that Flynote values and prioritizes its customers’ safety over everything else. You can reach out to us for any concerns regarding your travel in the meanwhile.