The Indian Railways partially restored passenger train services w.e.f from May 12, 2020 in a graded manner. Services to book tickets on 15 ‘special’ trains started on May 11, 2020 at 6:00 pm. According to the detailed schedule released by the railway ministry, 15 trains will be operational to 15 cities.
People can only book E-tickets through the official IRCTC website. In addition to this, a few trains will be running daily whereas others once, twice or thrice a week. The passenger services had been suspended since the lockdown on March 25.
New Delhi to the following destinations via stops
‘Special trains’ originating from New Delhi to the following destinations will be running via stops at the following stations-
Howrah: Asansol Jn, Dhanbad Jn, Gaya Jn, Pt. Dd Upadhyaya Jn, Prayagraj Jn and Kanpur Central
Ranchi: Pt. Dd Upadhyaya Jn, Kanpur Central
Chennai: Vijayawada, Warangal, Nagpur, Bhopal, Jhansi, Agra
Ahmedabad: Palanpur, Abu Road, Jaipur, Gurgaon
Jammu Tawi: Ludhiana
Mumbai Central: Surat, Vadodra, Ratlam, Kota
Thiruvananthapuram: Ernakulam Jn, Kozhikkode, Mangalore, Madgaon,Panvel, Vadodara, Kota
Bengaluru: Anantapur, Guntakal Jn, Secunderabad Jn, Nagpur, Bhopal Jn, Jhansi Jn
Bhubaneswar: Balasor,Hijli (Kharagpur), Tatanagar, Bokaro Steel City, Gaya, Pt. Dd Upadhyaya Jn, Kanpur Central
Secunderabad: Nagpur, Bhopal, Jhansi
Patna: Patna Jn, Pt. Dd Upadhyaya Jn, Prayagraj Jn., Kanpur Central
Agartala: Badarpur Jn, Guwahati, Kokrajhar, New Jalpaiguri, Katihar Jn, Barauni Jn, Patliputra, Pt. Dd Upadhyaya Jn, Kanpur Central
Dibrugarh: Dimapur, Lumding Jn, Guwahati, Kokrajhar, Mariani, New Jalpaiguri, Katihar Jn, Barauni Jn, Danapur, Pt. Dd Upadhyaya Jn, Prayagraj Jn, Kanpur Central
Bilaspur: Raipur Jn, Nagpur, Bhopal, Jhansi
Madgaon: Ratnagiri, Panvel, Surat, Vadodara Jn, Kota Jn
Note: Currently, all trains will start from the New Delhi Railway station.
Rules and regulations
- A person can only book his/her ticket on the official IRCTC website or mobile application. Reservation through agents or third-party aggregators will not be allowed. Tatkal and wait lists will not be available. The ticket counters at all railway stations will remain closed. All trains will have air-conditioned coaches.
- Fares will be equivalent to Rajdhani trains and no catering charges will be included in the ticket price.
- According to reports, a person living in a red zone will be allowed to travel to a station. However, a resident of a containment zone will not be allowed to step out.
- According to reports, it will be compulsory to wear face masks, undergo temperature checks at the time of departure. Also, authorities will allow only asymptomatic passengers to board the train.
- It is mandatory for all passengers to download the Aorogya Setu application.
- Passengers will have to bring their own food and linen. However, pre-packed food will be available.
The passenger trains from Delhi to Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Bhubaneswar, Jammu Tawi, Kolkata, Pune, Mumbai, Patna and Dibrugarh will run daily.
Train services to Secunderabad and Agartala will resume once a week. Trains will ply to Ranchi, Bilaspur, Madgaon and Chennai twice a week Passenger trains to Thiruvananthapuram will allowed thrice a week.
Curated by Ruchit Rastogi